Monday, May 13, 2013

Rene Folsom Author Interview

So today here on the blog, I have an interview with Rene Folsom!!!! All those exclamation points are there to reinforce how excited I am that she agreed to answer some questions and share some more about herself with us. Her books Heart You and Bind Me from her Roommate series reviews can be found here on the blog. She also has a Soul Seers series that I'm excited to start reading since I discovered how talented she is. At the bottom of the interview there will be links to her books and links so you can stalk her (and I do not encourage the creepy kind of stalking. This is more for saying hello and fangirling).

Oh and I most definitely asked her A LOT of questions. I hope you enjoy them and check her out because she's awesome and she actually answered ALL my questions!! Thank you again Rene for being such a great sport.






***There are more books available in the Soul Seers series other than the first one I have pictured here***

Rene Folsom Q & A


1.     What inspired you to write your first book?
That depends on what you consider my first book.  If you mean the first book I published, then I must tell you my fun little story about the inspiration of Heart You.  This year, on Valentine’s Day, Cynthia Shepp posted a Goodreads group thread challenging authors to come up with a short story using the following prompts: Valentine’s Day, candy conversation hearts, a love triangle, a black rose, and water balloons.  Needless to say, I pumped something out fairly quick.  After talking with Cynthia, who is also my editor, I decided to expand on the story and publish it.  I was already done with several other short stories by this point, but they were not published yet.  So, Heart You became my first published book and was inspired by Cynthia’s challenging prompts.
Cynthia Shepp’s website – http://cynthiashepp.wordpress.com/

2.     Are there any books that have influenced your life? The more the merrier.
The first book that pops into my mind is Twilight (I know, some many have a love/hate relationship with that answer).  My reason is valid though because it's the book that got me back into reading again.

3.     What book are you reading right now?
Right now I am reading The Gathering by S.L. Dearing and Red Planet by Robert Heinlein (recommended by the enigmatic Jayce Grayson)
The links…
The Gatheringhttp://amzn.com/B004DCB5X2/
Red Planethttp://amzn.com/0345493184/
Jayce Grayson, author of Xianne, who is guiding me through the world of Heinlein – http://www.amazon.com/Jayce-Grayson/e/B004XD1FUO/

4.     Do you have any writing rituals or certain things you do to aid your writing process?
Peace and quiet is very difficult to get when my house is overrun with snot-nosed children, but I do try to write at night when I know I can concentrate and not be interrupted with fighting siblings or hungry tummies.

5.     Favorite snack and thing to drink while you write?
Twizzlers and Mountain Dew :)

6.     Do you listen to music while you’re writing?
Most of the time, no.  But, occasionally I’ll be in the mood for some music and try to keep it low so as not to be too distracting.

7.     Can you tell us anything about what you’re currently working on?
Wow, that question is a mouthful.  I have officially diagnosed myself with ADD, so the amount of projects I currently have going are all over the board!  I’ll try to give a breakdown and hope I don’t make your brain explode.
 - Completing book six of the Soul Seers Series.
 - The third Roommate Romance novella, which has a tentative title of Share You.
 - My full-length erotica novel I’ve been working on since September of last year called Exposed Affections.  A three chapter teaser is available on my website at http://renefolsom.com/2013/05/first-three-chapters-of-exposed-affections/.
 - A new vampire erotica short featuring a dominant motorcycle street racer chick.
 - A super top-secret collaboration with the fantastic S.L. Dearing.
 - Many other ideas that have been jotted down for future use.  :)

8.     Who is your favorite character from any or your books and why?
That would have to be Chaz from Bind Me.  I’m going to let y’all read it for yourself.  Once you do, you’ll know exactly why he’s my favorite.  ;)

9.     How about your lest favorite character? What makes them unappealing to you?
Wow.  This question is hard to answer without giving away too many spoilers.  All I will say is Rob from my full-length novel currently in progress, Exposed Affections.

10.  If you could change one thing from your series, what would it be?
The only thing I can think of is to possibly make the characters a little older.  Even though they’re both in their early 20s, I’ve had a few reviewers call the story YA when I don’t want it labeled as such since there will be some graphic friendliness later on in the series.

11.  Tell us a little bit about your cover art for your Soul Seers and Roommate series. Who designed them? What made you want to go in that direction/image?
I designed all my covers myself.  I have been a professional graphic designer for over eight years and also provide premade and custom cover design to other authors.  Naturally, I take pride in all my cover designs.
The Soul Seers models were just too beautiful to pass up and purple/green is my favorite color combination (hence their intense eye colors).
Heart You needed to have that teasing quality that so nicely portrays a scene in the book.
Bind Me – who doesn’t like panty shots?
My graphic design website – http://phycel.com/

12.  What’s your favorite thing to do when you’re taking a break from working on your WIPs?
SLEEP!  Oh my, I desperately need sleep when I’m not working and/or writing.

13.  Is there anything else you’d like to say?
Uhm… thank you?  Yeah, that’s it.  Thank you!  And, don’t be afraid to drop me a line on my Facebook page every once in a while.  I don’t bite… hard.
My Facebook page – http://facebook.com/renefolsom/

14.  And now, before you go, how about a snippet from your book that is meant to intrigue and tantalize?
Gladly!  This short excerpt is from an untitled story I am currently working on.  The story will include a special treat for all my readers that I’m hoping everyone will LOVE! <3

This beautiful man is petrified of me.  Of course, I’m not surprised.  He should be scared.

Standing over him, I could tell he wanted this.  Regardless of how much he tried to hide himself, he couldn’t hide the look of fascination disguised behind his fear.

His naked skin against my black satin sheets made me think of piano keys—patterns of ebony and ivory—perfect for playing a sultry tune using my skillful fingers.  Adding streams of scarlet on this colorless canvas would be the perfect touch.

My loft was ideal for my… recreations.  The upper-level was open, yet private, hiding my play area from the world outside.  Even though my human façade was daring and outgoing, I thrived on anonymity in my personal life.

I could already tell this man was going to derail my desire to remain unknown.  The pulse throbbing at his thick neck made me realize just how irresistible he was to me.

Continuing to examine him, exploring every curve of his muscles, every vein under his skin, I chuckled out loud as I wondered, can I keep him as my own personal pet?

Goose bumps broke out over his deliciously marbled skin at the sound of my laugh.  He bit his lip as he stared back at me, attempting to stay strong.  He knew he wanted it—wanted something—and the suspense of exactly what it was he wanted was killing him.

Yet, I thrived on suspense.  The build up of expectation as I watched my lovers squirm was nearly the same as foreplay.  After you couldn’t take the wait and anticipation any longer, the point of no return was pure rapture.

My bed consisted of a thin, yet comfortable mattress lying in the middle of the hardwood floor.  The walls surrounding the entire upper-level were mirrored, allowing me to see my catch from all angles.  It was a feature already installed when I moved in and I wordlessly thanked the previous tenant for his perverted ways.

I firmly stood at the foot of the bed, my feet spread apart and my hands on my hips, wearing my favorite high-heeled leather boots and an outfit that was made up of nothing more than a few leather straps wrapping around my curvy frame.  Licking my lips, anticipation welling up inside me, I silently stalked my prey.

Dinner.

Thank you again for playing with me and answering my questions. I can say that I am now even more eager about your WIP because that teaser was divine. As was learning you love Mountain Dew because so do I! Exciting, I know. I sincerely hope to have you come back soon! I'll find an excuse...

Book Links:

Heart You –

Bind Me –

Voices of the Soul – (NOW FREE!)

I know you see that Voices of the Soul is currently free. I also know you need to read it because it has to be amazing. Read it. Love it. You're life will brighten when you spend a couple hours curled up with one of Rene Folsom's books. That I can guarantee from experience. 



No comments:

Post a Comment